True to the somewhat erratic nature of the development of my projects, I have made yet another jump in scale – this time back down to the diminutive 6mm and Fantasy is the order of the day.
But first, a note on the basing. It’s no secret that I find the basing of miniatures to be something of a chore, as well as finding it difficult to inject any real sense of additional atmosphere to the figure or unit and so I’ve tried something a bit different. I’ve seen some amazing unit bases – generally for Napoleonic armies – and thought I could apply some elements to my own figures.
As I generally paint and game primarily as a personal project I do not need to subscribe to any particular set of basing criteria, so I went for an 80mm x 60mm base and tried to make it interesting. I would assume that Demons, particularly fighty and angry ones, would have little sense of unit cohesion so I tried to arrange them as though they rushing towards their enemies in a scattered formation.
I’m pretty pleased with the results and there is an additional bonus. Economy. I can use fewer individual figures to hopefully give the impression of full units, which means that I can get two bases of Blade Demons from a pack instead of just one and have a few leftovers to populate character and monster bases…… yay! I do love the Microworld range, but unfortunately the import tax makes them a rare and expensive treat so I’m hoping some large bases will give the slightly thinned units a bit of visual impact.
I also found a stash of Baccus6mm Ancients (Romans, Persians, Parthians etc) who might be fun to implement as some Fantasy civilisations. Might be another fun project to start!
Thanks for looking.