Sneaky Peak of the painted Pikemen

Hello all, just thought I’d post up a quickie of some of the finished Pikemen. They just need varnishing in basing, then I’ll have an entire finished unit!

Painted pike Unit1

Nice and colourful little chaps, the banner has a key on it (don’t ask me why, I think the reason I tend not to finish whole units id because I get a total mind blank when it comes to banners) and the splodge is a twin tailed comet – just to Warhammerify it up a bit.

Thanks for looking!

Sneaky Peak of the painted Pikemen

On the Painting Table – 10mm stuff and a Track of the day

So, in the midst of the rather horrible turmoil in which we find ourselves in, I have found some meditative calm and solace at the painting table. Currently on the go are:

Some Pikemen from Warmonger Miniatures. I started a unit of these ages ago, but they got damaged during a move and I ended up getting distracted. Here I am starting another one, but I’ve already realised that I need to prime up two more front rank strips to get the numbers right for 3 strips arranged like cavalry….. d’oh!


Some Halberdiers, again from Warmonger Miniatures. I was delighted to get in just before the end of the Kickstarter for these and bought an indecent number of them, about time I cracked on and got painting then.


Have also been beavering away at some scenery for the modular gaming table, behold rocks and ruin ready for painting.

Finally; a new piece of music from Portishead which is found on the soundtrack to the film High-Rise based on the (wonderful) novel by J.G.Ballard. This has to be one of the most unusual renditions of an ABBA song which manages to be both moving and unsettling especially given the circumstances it was released (in tribute to the brutally murdered politician Jo Cox). Not only this, but the sentiment of SOS seems somewhat appropriate given the current circumstances………….. Enjoy the tune.

On the Painting Table – 10mm stuff and a Track of the day

10mm scale figure armature

Hello all. Someone just asked me on a forum how I go about making the armatures for these figures…. so I thought I’d do a step by guide.

Now, I didn’t invent this technique, I found someone else do it quite a while ago online but alas cannot remember where. Instead here is me demonstrating the technique.

Things which I need:

  • 0.7mm wire
  • Something to cut said wire
  • Fingers

First of all I cut a couple of lengths of wire:

step 1

The long piece of wire is then wrapped the very tip on the little finger, resulting in a loop in the middle of the long piece of wire:

step 2

The shorter length of wire is then placed in between the overlapping halves of the long wire – the pressure at the base of the loop should hold the wire in place, like so:

step 3

Then, pinch the loop and short wire between thumb and any finger of choice (forgive the un-manicured fingernail, printing ink is tough to remove):

Step 4

Then TWIST, and I mean tightly! You don’t want the short piece of wire to drop out. Normally I give it 3 good twists, this tends to give enough ‘torso and hips’ for a 10mm figure:

Step 5

I like to just put the tiniest drop of superglue onto the twisted wire and let it dry just to give it some added strength. Once dry, you can then carefully >ahem< snip away the superfluous length between the legs. I tend to leave the arms in their loop formation  while getting the body and legs bulked out, then snip and pose them later:

step 6

Ta-Daaaaaa! I like to leave the length at the head end just in case I want a plume or spike (so far I’ve made one plume and no spikes – quite a repertoire). I then use a pin to put a couple of holes in a cork, the wire is too flimsy to just stick in, making allowances for the base bit then trim and organise the arms later.

I hope readers have found this helpful, my sculpting was dire and kind of depressing before I found this technique. I hope it helps as much as it helped me!

Thanks for looking.

10mm scale figure armature

10mm Sculpting continues….

Okey dokey, I’ve finally got round to taking a photo of some company for the 10mm Wizard. Here they are, one is almost finished (just needs a pointy bit on his spear) and the other is in the early stages. I’ve photographed them here with some Araby figures so that there is some idea of size.


I think I’m starting to get the hang of sculpting a bit more now, and the key seems to be patience.

In other news, I’m making some shields for my Magister Militum skeletons to give them a bit more of a Vampire Counts feel and Goblin archer has been painted – just needs varnish and flock. Also have a troll in the works and a load more Gobbos on the painting table as always and even a couple of bits of scenery on CDs!

Thanks for looking.

10mm Sculpting continues….